Intel 915G with Dell 2005FPW TFT no bigger resolution then 1280x1024

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Thu Oct 20 16:32:33 PDT 2005

Xavier Bestel wrote:
> Le jeudi 20 octobre 2005 à 12:52 -0600, Philip Prindeville a écrit :
>
>>The EDID reported by this monitor is slightly broken, and I've been
>>trying to get Dell to fix it, but they have no clue as to what I'm talking
>>about, and their "award winning service" (in India) has no way of
>>talking to anyone on the factory floor or in the design bureau in
>>Texas or wherever that might be.
>

> FWIW I have plugged it on a pc loaded with Mandriva 2006, and without
> even touching xorg.conf or anything the desktop booted in 1680x1050.
> 100% perfect, I'd like Xorg to be always like that :)

The i810 driver changed since 6.8.2, and now defaults to using DDC.

This is not an OS specific change, but an Xorg official driver change.
Any distribution that ships the newest i810 driver as-is, will
experience this problem.

Alan Hourihane has mentioned before that this is a bug in the
display itself, lying about it's EDID data.  The "best" fix
of course would be for Dell to fix their monitors to report
the correct EDID data, and magically blast it into the monitor
firmware without the user knowing about the problem or needing
to do anything manually.

Unfortunately, it's very unlikely for that to happen.  Judging
by the number of bug reports I've seen from people with i810
hardware, this problem is going to affect a large number of users.

I'm wondering if it might be a better idea to revert the changes
back to the previous behaviour that worked for everyone, even
though DDC wouldn't be used by default?

IMHO, DDC is just not reliable enough in general to count on.