Dual head - internal Intel 815, several PCI cards

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Oct 16 19:43:58 PDT 2005

Alex Deucher wrote:

>On 10/15/05, Jim Cornette <jim-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>I have tried to configure Dual head using several different PCI video
>>card in conjunction with the internal Intel 815 without any luck. The
>>first attempt was with a Radeon 7000 video card that was broken during
>>the time that I attempted to use it. I resorted to using the vesa drive
>>for the radeon but ended up having trouble with the Intel seeming to
>>overlap areas where the radeon using the vesa card crossed memory
>>allocations. I could partly get the radeon card working but only if I
>>used the vesa driver for the primary Intel builtin video.
>>Using the vesa for the Intel 815 did not work with getting the
>>monitor/display from displaying anything else but diagonal lines while
>>the secondary radeon worked if the mouse was moved into where the
>>display unblanked.
>>Going through several other cards, an ATI  (PCI) and a Nividia (AGP)
>>resulted in no dual head, but was able to use whichever card was set to
>>primary through BIOS. The problem that I encountered was that the Intel
>>would only allow reduced settings like 800x600 and the secondary card
>>was always blank.
>>
>>To clarify how my motherboard 370SSM works, with AGP, it does not allow
>>the builtin Intel to be usable at all. With a PCI, two video cards are
>>functional if the PCI is primary in MS ME. The cards always seem to not
>>use the PCI video memory on the cards, but tap into where the Builtin
>>Intel uses memory which reduce the maximum resolution obtainable if you
>>tried to use the tool for configuring xorg in Fedora called
>>system-config-display. If I edited the xorg.conf file to include
>>1280x1024, the Intel works great.
>>
>>Anyway, I obtained another MGA PCI video card, G200 and am interested in
>>giving this combination a try. I have the card installed with the Intel
>>as primary where the resolution is reduced to 800x600 and the Matrox is
>>detected but not engaged if dual head is activated. I really would like
>>to know how to get the PCI cards to utilize their on board memory
>>instead of stealing from the memory pool that the Internal card needs to
>>work properly.
>>
>>Is this feat possible? Any direction (except "get lost") appreciated.
>>

>The add in cards will never use the integrated intel card's memory.
>The integrated intel chips are AGP so you can only use them in
>conjunction with PCI cards.  It seems your system has problems posting
>secondary cards.  Can you post your X configs and logs somewhere?
>
>Alex

There is surely something wrong with configuration, my BIOS or
code/routines in xorg or system-config-display.The PCI cards "seem" to
be trying to use external memory instead of the memory the cards have on
board. I probably do not understand the memory for video AGP that much.

I attached this to a cobwebbed bug report that I have open.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=120037
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=120038

The bug report is:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=120038