VIA/S3 Unichrome device IDs

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at dunaweb.hu
Sun Oct 16 07:21:18 PDT 2005

Luc Verhaegen írta:
> On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 01:21:51AM +0200, Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I installed Fedora Core 4 on a new machine that has an AsRock
>>P4VM800 mainboard. Its manual says that the integrated VGA
>>controller is an S3G Unichrome Pro 2D/3D device. Wow, xorg must
>>surely know this device I thought, but no. It's only usable with
>>the vesa driver. :-(
>>
>>The device's PCI ID is 1106:3344, subdevice ID is also 3344 with
>>an AsRock vendor ID but I didn't make note of the numeric value
>>of that. I recompiled xorg-x11 in FC4 adding the device ID
>>to via_regs.h, via_driver.c. Actually I recompiled it three times
>>with three different variation in via_hwdiff.c: first time I didn't
>>modify this file, then I tried to get this device handled the same
>>as a VT3204 than a VT3205. Neither version worked correctly,
>>although all of them recognized my monitor through DDC but I couldn't
>>get a stable picture. Hardware cursor appeared in every time but
>>the picture ran. 16 and 24 bit colordepth worked the same. I tried
>>to tweak the BIOS settings, giving 8, 16 MB to the videocard from the
>>main memory but it didn't help. Can someone help me to get this device
>>handled with acceleration?
>>
>>I also came across this page when I searched for a solution:
>>
>>http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=5&ArticleID=68&P=5
>>
>>It seems that very few devices are handled by the via driver
>>in xorg-x11 at present.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Zoltán Böszörményi
>
> Unlike with other VIA releases, the Asrock board appeared very shortly
> after an announcement was made and crappy bloated driver source became
> available. http://www.livejournal.com/users/libv/1069.html
>
> I won't be able to credit you for reporting this or reporting the pci
> subsystem id, because Fede Heinz did so on #xorg a week or so ago.
>
> Luc Verhaegen.

Thanks for the answer. I don't care about being credited for
this report, what I care about is to not disappoint my sister's
kids but it seems unavoidable since ppracer will only crawl for them
at present. :-( But e.g. supertux, and other 2D Linux games (and 2D
Windows games through Wine for that matter), etc. are actually
running nicely.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi