Poor graphic performance on java apps

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sat Oct 15 20:18:37 PDT 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:21:25 +0200 Enrico Weigelt <weigelt at metux.de> babbled:

> * Carsten Haitzler <raster at rasterman.com> schrieb:
>
> <snip>
>
> > dealing with x. it was hackery to the nth degree. they have so many nasty
> > kinds of hacks to try detect what wm u run - and in the case of a detected
> > one, literally behave differently when mapping/opening windows, handling
> > their events etc. it shows very little respect for icccm and window
> > management and they did only SPECIFIC case hacks. their general case
> > assumptions are very poor at best. if your wm is a new one and not detected
> > yet (which is actually most wm's as they only detect about half a dozen)
> > you either have to try pretend to be another wm, or live with broken java
> > apps they do thigns like don't draw, make their windows 4 times they size
> > they should be etc. java's awt liked to do things like ASSUME it can figure
> > out the top-left cornder of the FRAME window all the time. it likes to
> > ASSUME single re-parenting on a wm's part if it isn't 100% correctly
> > detected, and more.
>
> hey cool, that's just as many fun as with autotools ;-P
>

> BTW: i guess you're talking about Sun's java implementation, not other's
> like gnu classpath, etc.
>
> I'm coding much in java, but very few gui stuff. the gnu awt
> implementation always worked for me.

yeah - this is sun's java impl. :) man has it wasted chunks of my time! the
problme is - people USE sun's impl. then when it doesnt detect the wm (its some
new  wm or one they just never bothered to support - which i admit is hard
given the nature of how many there are and that new ones can pop up), it falls
back to "utterly stupid mode" still trying to hack - but do it wrongly. there
isnt even an option to tell it manually what to assume (like an environment
variable or some root window property a wm can set to help java get it
right). :)

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com
裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)