Using HAL for X Server Config Properties?

Michael Olbrich michael-olbrich at web.de
Sat Oct 8 02:57:09 PDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 04:08:24PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Specifically you can write a parser for the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that
> invokes this API and all is good. Only later I would consider hotplug.

Let me see if I get that correctly:

- There is some kind of service providing the configuration.
- On startup the xserver connects to this service using some kind of IPC
  (possibly DBUS)
- on simple implementation would be on that just reads
  /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I like that. It separates how to get the configuration form where it
comes from. As long as we have one IPC interface it doesn't matter where
the information comes from. I would however sugest to make the interface
powerfull enough to support multiple sources:
- basic configuration from gconf.
- HAL detects a new mouse.

While talking about hal: It would also be nice to remember any manual
settings for a device. I guess we would need some kind of UIDs for that.

michael