Radeon Mobility X700 failure / current CVS

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Sun Oct 2 17:13:54 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 15:27 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> I've been running Xorg HEAD on a Ferrari 4000 for a while, as have several
> of my coworkers.   The trick we've found is you must include the setting
>
> 	 Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,CRT"

Awesome, that did the trick thanks!

> otherwise the driver finds the VGA & DVI ports, but ignores the builtin
> LVDS display.    Also you either need to include
>
> 	Option "PanelSize" "1680x1050"

Oddly that breaks everything for me. I end up with a screen shifted to
the left with a black bar down the right hand side. Furthermore, it
looks like the hsync is not working properly because chunks of the
screen shudder left/right. How that happens on a digital display is
beyond me.

Luckily I don't need it, so that's ok.

> (Though it should be noted, we're running on Solaris, so without the DRI
>   code running - just the non-DRI portions of the Xorg DDX.)

I've disable DRI. As far as I know this only works on Linux with the
binary ATI driver. If this isn't the case I'd like to know because it
would be very handy, but I'm not desperate enough to run binary drivers.

I also had to add
     Option "MergedFB" "no"
or it tried to do a dual head with a monitor I haven't got, which didn't
seem to help matters.

Cheers,

Martin.