Radeon Mobility X700 failure / current CVS

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Sun Oct 2 15:03:29 PDT 2005

Hi,

I've been trying to get xorg running on my new Acer Ferrari 4000
notebook. The graphics card is identified as 'ATI Technologies Inc
Radeon Mobility X700 (PCIE)' from lspci.

>From reading the list and bugzilla I understand that this card should
work with recent CVS, so I've tried it with CVS from 29/09/2005.
Unfortunately it doesn't work for me.

I tried the laptop's native resolution of 1680x1050, and 1400x1050
(which I'm currently using ok with the VESA driver), and both give the
same result. X appears to detect the card and start and run OK, but the
screen doesn't show. Instead it goes absolutely jet black to start with.
Then it fills up with very dark grey (what would normally be black) from
the bottom right corner. It fills up in a most bizarre manner, rather
like if I spilt oil on it! But quite repeatable.

I understand that the ATI binary driver works fine on this machine, but
I'm not interested in closed source, so intend to press on with the xorg
driver. I also tried setting chipid to a whole range of suggested values
I saw, most of which just did the same as above.

I would appreciate any clues on how to make this work, or how to debug
what the problem is.

I'm running Fedora Core 4, 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4 kernel, x86_64. Attached
are the xorg.conf and log file.

Cheers,

Martin.