Official method for determining modular X module path?

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Wed Nov 30 18:40:43 PST 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 03:42:26PM -0800, Andy Ritger wrote:
> With the new modular X server filesystem layout, how should 3rd party
> vendors determine the path in which to install their X drivers?
> My understanding is that the correct answer is for 3rd party
> installation tools to run:
>
>     pkg-config --variable=moduledir xorg-server

Correct.

> Is that correct?  If so, then I'd like to champion this with the
> Linux distros.

This works in Ubuntu today, and will work with the packaging that Debian
also uses.

> The installer for the next NVIDIA Linux driver release will run
> the above command; if that is successful and returns a directory
> that exists, it will be used, otherwise the NVIDIA installer will
> fall back to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules.
>
> Is that the proper heuristic to use?

Err.  Surely something like the above:
MODULEDIR="$(pkg-config --variable=moduledir xorg-server)"
if [ -z "$MODULEDIR" ]; then
    MODULEDIR="/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
fi
if [ ! -d "$MODULEDIR" ] && [ ! -L "$MODULEDIR" ]; then
    MODULEDIR="/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
fi

Cheers,
Daniel