[patch] Use dlsym instead of glXGetProcAddress in xdriinfo

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Tue Nov 22 14:58:00 PST 2005

Am Dienstag, den 22.11.2005, 14:19 -0800 schrieb Eric Anholt:
> On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 22:28 +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 09:37:35AM -0800, Eric Anholt wrote:
> > > Because someone builds and installs Xorg, then installs the nvidia
> > > driver, then goes to upgrade Xorg at a later date, and the build of the
> > > apps (since we've got the monolithic build split into apps, libs,
> > > servers) fails.  This won't even go away with modular since we'd still
> > > expect xdriinfo to be built and installed by an xorg metapackage.
> > >
> > > The alternative would be for the user to set a flag telling the
> > > metapackage that they've got nvidia installed so don't build xdriinfo.
> > > That's not very nice.
> >
> > Umm, so they shouldn'tg install nvidias libGL.  The modular X clearly
> > depends on mesa as libGL.  Maybe this problem should be documented more
> > cleanly so people are aware what mess they cause by blindly installing
> > another libGL.
>
> Excuse me?  The solution to X.Org being broken in the presence of
> non-Mesa libGL is to not use 3d hardware acceleration at all?  Of all of
> X.Org, this was the one app that failed with nvidia's libGL.  Also,
> they're not using modular here, though the problem would remain the same
> with modular.

I think that's not what Christoph meant. The nvidia libGL is an
unsupported configuration, which means it may or may not work. However,
we have not commitment to make it work. In fact, except for xdriinfo,
Xorg seems to work just fine with NVidia's drivers and libGL. If NVidia
feels this is a big issue for their users, they are free to work with us
on a solution.

> I hate binary drivers as much as the next guy, but seriously, does this
> patch cause any harm, in exchange for many users (I've had two
> duplicates of reports of this in the last week) being happier?

Right now there doesn't seem to be the one patch that makes everybody
happy. The dlsym version isn't portable and the glXGetProcAddressARB has
been reported (by you) to be broken on AMD64. At this point there is
really nothing I can do. I'm basically waiting for someone with AMD64 to
track down that issue. Until then from my POV the current solution is at
least as good as any of the other ones that have been proposed so far.

Regards,
  Felix

--
| Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |