[patch] Use dlsym instead of glXGetProcAddress in xdriinfo

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Tue Nov 22 09:37:35 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 08:11 -0800, Ian Romanick wrote:

> Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 18:08 -0500, Felix Kühling wrote:
> >
> >>The attached patches (monolithic and modular) should fix dynamic linking
> >>problems with xdriinfo, that NVidia users were complaining about.
> >
> > Does their driver support the DRI configuration infrastructure?
>
> Of course not.  They use their own OpenGL infrastructure from top to
> bottom.  I guess I'm not really sure why a user of Nvidia's
> closed-source drivers would even care about xdriinfo.  It a nonsensical
> thing to do.

Because someone builds and installs Xorg, then installs the nvidia
driver, then goes to upgrade Xorg at a later date, and the build of the
apps (since we've got the monolithic build split into apps, libs,
servers) fails.  This won't even go away with modular since we'd still
expect xdriinfo to be built and installed by an xorg metapackage.

The alternative would be for the user to set a flag telling the
metapackage that they've got nvidia installed so don't build xdriinfo.
That's not very nice.

Eric Anholt                                     eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt at FreeBSD.org