Patchless MultiSeat driver

Josef Kubin xkubin2 at fi.muni.cz
Tue Nov 15 14:42:42 PST 2005

I have written a prototype of driver, which made MultiSeat possible
without any patching of source code of Xorg.
This is painless solution for 2 users.

What you need?
2 keyboards (PS2+USB)
2 mice (PS2+USB)
2 ordinary graphics cards (PCI+AGP)
2 monitors
and of course my driver

Notes:
a) X11R6.8.2 && ordinary PC (PCI+AGP) with Linux,
(I have tested two distros, Fedora core 3, Suse 10)
kernel >= 2.6.8, because driver needs event interface (/dev/input/eventN).

b) If you start your computer from PCI graphics card (as primary GC) then
you can start second X on AGP card. You MUST start second X from VC!

c) Two Xorg are simultaneously independently running => two users can use
one PC, one user have access on VCs without interference of second X.

d) VCs are accessible on primary graphics card only while X is
running on secondary graphics card.

If you want such configuration: VC + X
First keyboard and mouse for VCs, second keyboard and mouse for X.

You should edit "/etc/sysconfig/mouse" to unbind merged mouse input for
VCs and set particular mouse input.
DEVICE=/dev/input/mouse0

# /etc/init.d/gpm restart

e) this driver is actually something between kbd and evdev input driver +
some small setings well documented inside of source.

Here is my prototype:
http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xkubin2/vtkbd.tar.bz2

Thank you for your revision

Regards