Mesa tarball missing in X11R7.0-RC2/extras

Thomas Dickey dickey at radix.net
Fri Nov 11 11:12:06 PST 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 01:42:06PM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Friday 11 November 2005 12:41, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > RC1 also has xterm-200, but no xterm is in the extras directory for RC2.
> > (I don't recall any discussion that would omit that).
>
> Oversight on my part.  ISTR some discussion on which xterm version was most
> stable.  Is -200 still the recommended version?

200 was fine.  But as time passes, there are new reports and fixes.
Unfortunately, some fixes took more than one patch to resolve.
202-203 had some fixes for performance on newer Linux kernels, while
203-205 had some in-progress changes related to layout
(of the toolbar configuration), which seem stable as of 206.
Note that the ranges for the two overlap - that was why I was not
recommending #204 when we last discussed this.

I see that Xorg has #204 checked into the monolith, but note that at
least one of the fixes in #206 fixed a regression (for the normal,
non-toolbar) configuration:

http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.log.html#xterm_206

     * amend  adjustments  for  scrollbar  layout from patch #204 to make
       this  apply  only to the toolbar configuration. In the non-toolbar
       configuration,   the   resulting  scrollbar  was  shifted  by  its
       borderwidth (report by Matthieu Herrb).

So far there are no new reports against #206 (2005/11/3).  Xorg has of
course the change made by Kean Johnston for the Imakefile (I have a
version of that in my changes toward #207).  Supposing that there are
really no new bugs in #206, it would be better to release a #207 with
the Imakefile change.

Thinking about all of that, what is your timeframe for getting a new
copy of xterm?

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net