X11R7 RC1 works more than less on linux/sparc (ati and sunffb)

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Thu Nov 10 11:54:06 PST 2005

Hi all,

I'm pleased to find out that X11R7 RC1 does work more than less on linux/sparc
(32bit userspace). There are "only" two problems:

 - The loader fails to load the modules used by sunffb, cfb and cfb32. Loading
them explicitly in the xorg.conf does work around this. I'll take a look into
fixing this later. Also is it reasonable to convert the sunffb driver to the
new fb layer or is the loss in performance to be expected?

 - The module path does not contain /xorg/, it is just /usr/X11/lib/modules
which does not match the installation path that is /usr/X11/lib/xorg/modules.
A symlink can work around this and I'll review why this happens later on.
Modular X.org built in the same way does work correctly on x86, powerpc and
x86-64 ...

The test were done on an Ultra5 with a Ati mach64 and an Ultra30 with the
Creator3D (sunffb).

Yours,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
            http://www.exactcode.de | http://www.t2-project.org