Status of Xinput hotplug?

Laszlo khiraly123 at gmx.net
Tue Nov 8 05:21:42 PST 2005

Hi!

What is the present status of Xinput hotplug extension?
Is it already included in the CVS head version and will appear in the
next major release: 7.0?

Im asking this because:

In almost all laptop model there are an disable touchpad button.
The kernel recognise these touchpads after some events has been send.

1. turn on the laptop.
2. When the X starts(started with: startx) quit with this error message:
(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.3
ALPS no synaptics event device found (checked 11 nodes)
ALPS The /dev/input/event* device nodes seem to be missing
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/event2
        No such file or directory.
Synaptics driver unable to open device
[snip]
(II) usbmouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
No core pointer

Fatal server error:
failed to initialize core devices

The current workflow is:
1. disable the touchpad (with the button)
2. reenable the touchpad, and touching it to generate some events.

After it the startx work fine, the X is launched, and I can use the
scrolling feature of my touchpad.

The problem:
1. I suspend my laptop with suspend2 kernel patch.
When I restart the laptop, its pretty sure, that after resuming the X
server fails to initialize the touchpad.
(sometime X able to use the touchpad again, when Im touching and
enabling/disabling the touchpad pending the resume procedure. But I must
have chance because it not work in the most of the case.)

So the symptom is, that after a hibernate the scrolling feature of the
touchpad (auto-dev protocol, ALPS touchpad) stop working.

So I think that I need the X server Xinput hotplug feature to reenable
the ALPS touchpad.

Am I correct?

Which version of x.org must I installed on my debian SID system?
Any other feature works fine.

Best regards,
 Khiraly