How can a client identify the window manager version?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Wed Nov 2 05:55:59 PST 2005

The danger Carsten points out is very real: we'd end up with code that
says "if this window manager, then do the following" (which might not
even be true in the next version of that window manager), rather than
code that says "if this window manager feature is present, then do the
following", which isn't brittle against different window managers and/or
versions of window managers, and the application can have a chance to
continue to work into the future.
				Regards,
					- Jim