xserver command-line and config includes - or ATI driver workaround

Daniel Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Tue May 31 10:39:34 PDT 2005

I'm looking for a work-around for the ATI driver - specifically the
mutually exclusive modes of OpenGLOverlay and VideoOverlay.

My existing method is to manually edit xorg.conf and change the
appropriate yes/no options in the driver section.  I would like a better
way.

The options I've come up with are:
    * alternate "startx" scripts that pass the options on the command-line
    * alternate "startx" scripts that adjust file-links to different
config files
    * alternate "startx" scripts that adjust environment variables that
are referenced in the config file

I know how to do the file-link method - I just think it's ugly.  Is
there a way of doing one of the others - or maybe someone has a better
suggestion?  I'd also like to be able to do this from a gdm/kdm - but I
don't think it's possible since the xserver settings are read when
gdm/kdm start.

Daniel