Xegl lives!

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sun May 29 09:41:55 PDT 2005

On Saturday 28 May 2005 11:25, Jon Smirl wrote:
> EGL provides a user space API for mode setting. It is up to the
> implementer to pick you to implement it. In my case I am trying to fix
> the Xserver to not run as root. So I pushed mode setting down into a
> device driver.
>
> Someone else may chose to implement mode setting in the user library.
> Since setting a mode requires root priv this implies that your server
> will have to run as root.

You're predicating this on the assumption that the ability to break broken
monitors even further has something to do with the unix privilege model.  I
remain thoroughly unconvinced of this.

And you really are wishing the problem away, unless you can guarantee that the
registers controlling mode setting never get mapped into userspace, and that
the DMA you trigger from the DRM never writes to those registers.  Can you
make that claim?

- ajax