Can't get RandR rotation status from xinput driver

Zachary Whitley zachary at whitley.org
Sat May 28 12:06:04 PDT 2005

When using a tablet pc and the latest nvidia driver there is no way
(that I know of) of obtaining the current orientation of the screen.

AFIK, currently randr assumes that when you rotate the screen, that you
are going to leave the tablet pad where it is and physically rotate the
screen 90 deg.  To put it another way, if the pad is stationary and the
screen is in landscape mode moving on the pad back and forth moves up
and down on the screen , after rotating the screen via xrandr the screen
is turned 90 degrees to portrait mode and a back and forth motion should
move the cursor along the long axis.

On a tablet pc the screen and the tablet move in unison so this is not
correct on the tablet pc. This would also be the case for a touchscreen.

I guess this would require either some way of telling x that the input
shouldn't be rotated or provide a way for the input driver to check the
current screen orientation and correct it if it needs to.

PS: A bug report (#3421) has been submitted.