Getting to a GL based X server

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri May 27 10:43:47 PDT 2005

Jon Smirl wrote:

> > If you're really arguing that every server, even those running on chips where
> > we have no hardware 3D support, should be running on a GL engine, then I'll
> > just stop listening now, because you're delusional.
>
> No one is taking away your current server. You are free to continue using it.

But is it going to continue to be supported by anyone?

Or are we looking at a future where implementing the equivalent of
Notepad will require either:

a) a full-featured OpenGL implementation with multi-texturing,
programmable shaders etc, or

b) a bunch of obsolete libraries which are no longer maintained and
can only be compiled with decade-old versions of gcc, libc etc?