Getting to a GL based X server

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu May 26 18:09:43 PDT 2005

On Thursday 26 May 2005 20:05, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 5/26/05, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> > Remind me why on earth I would want to use fb to do core X and Render to
> > a texture, then use a software GL engine to interpolate that across the
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > screen.
>
> Because that's how Compose works?

Bzzzt, wrong, but thanks for playing.  Outside of Looking Glass and related
projects, Composite maps pictures untransformed, and using Render not GL.  GL
engines in general do not special case this path because untransformed
application of textures to the framebuffer is not the typical use case for
GL.

And mapping those pictures transformed is sufficiently expensive that you
really don't want to do it in software.

- ajax