Getting to a GL based X server

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu May 26 16:43:18 PDT 2005

On 5/26/05, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:
> My main worry with KAA is that it only work on radeon, which Xgl will
> work just as well on if not better on, I want to see the KAA
> developers and devotees put some effort into bringing up KAA on some

My concern around KAA is different. I'm afraid that all of the various
hardware accelerations will slowly get added to KAA. Then at the end
of ten years KAA will have rebuilt the OpenGL API. Except that the KAA
version will be a total mish mash that grew over time instead of
something like OpenGL that was comprehensively designed and
standardized.

This will also mean that companies like Nvidia will have to do three
drivers (maybe four) - D3D, Window GL, DRI, KAA. I'm trying to work to
a model where they do two: D3D and GL. The desire is to try and make
it possible for the vendor to use a single code base for Window GL and
Linux GL.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com