Getting to a GL based X server

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu May 26 16:21:14 PDT 2005

On Thursday 26 May 2005 19:00, Ian Romanick wrote:
> So, here's my question:  what are the common, 2D operations that aren't
> easilly accelerated by GL on 2D cards but are accelerated by the
> hardware?  It should be easy enough to craft fast paths for the common
> clear, fill, and line-draw operations.   Screen-to-screen and
> off-screen-to-screen blits will be simple enough with the aforementioned
> extension.  Is there anything else "big" that I'm missing?

KAA basically just accelerates blits and solid fills (and Render blends, but
we're assuming no hardware alpha).  I really wouldn't worry about line
drawing at all; it never gets used by real apps and it almost assuredly won't
conform to the X spec.

If I'm reading this right, you do still need a degenerate DRI driver.  It
won't do much more than swrast and accelerated buffer swaps, but it still
needs to know which registers to poke, when the engine goes idle, etc.

- ajax