Getting to a GL based X server

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu May 26 15:28:38 PDT 2005

On Thursday 26 May 2005 17:33, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 5/26/05, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> > If you're really arguing that every server, even those running on chips
> > where we have no hardware 3D support, should be running on a GL engine,
> > then I'll just stop listening now, because you're delusional.
>
> No one is taking away your current server. You are free to continue using
> it.

But I'm not free to continue improving it?

> I might point out that OpenGL-ES is a limited subset of OpenGL and it
> has been designed for embedded use from day one. There are several
> proprietary implementations including one that does not assume
> hardware acceleration or use floating point and fits in 100K of
> memory.

And you assume this will be adequately performant for the desktop because...

> In the new model OpenGL/EGL is the device driver layer. This lets the
> Xserver get completely out of the device driver business.

This is misleading; you have merely shifted the driver problem out of
programs/Xserver.  The drivers still need to get written.  And the list of
DRI drivers is far too short.

> Committing to the this driver model allows us to concentrate our resources
> instead of trying to build three or more competing models.

I don't count three.  Do you count three?

> There will definitely be a transition period between the old and new
> models. The first version of the Xegl server works on Linux
> framebuffer making it very portable.

This is a delightful interpretation of the word "portable" I was not
previously aware of.

> And you're always free to continue using the existing Xserver.

You've dodged the question.  Why are you even bringing up GLES in the context
of Xegl?

---

If you're trying to make a performance argument, fine.  I don't think anyone
is questioning that the 3D pipeline has capabilities that we should be
exploiting.  If you're trying to make a size argument, you're on shakier
ground.  Size is really not the issue.  Suitable architecture for the
hardware is; and the GLES implementations that count (read: the free ones)
generally don't lend themselves to hardware acceleration.

But you seem to be making a manpower argument along the lines of "if we don't
have everybody working on this yesterday then the terrorists win".  And I
would humbly suggest that the solution there is not to herd cats towards your
goal of choice, but rather to get more people working on X.

Let's take a concrete example.  Say I'm want to improve i128 support.  Now, it
has a 3D engine that's good enough for GL, so it can accelerate Render no
problem.  My options are:

a) Spend a week or so on converting it to something KAA-like, then do DRI; or
b) Spend three months getting DRI working under XAA.

Which one gets results faster?  Which one provides a graduated path that gets
me both value now and more value later?  Which one teaches me as I'm going,
making me a more effective X hacker?

You're saying I should pick option B, and I'm having trouble seeing how that's
a win for me or for anyone else.  You get a DRI driver in three months either
way.

- ajax