Xegl lives!

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue May 24 10:12:06 PDT 2005

Actually, Jon's work is less linux centric than it may seem (though his
Linux driver work is clearly Linux centric).

Fundamentally, the kernel device driver model in Linux is badly broken,
and Jon's been working on fixing that part of the mess, a very thankless
job for which he deserves much praise...

The commercial UNIX systems did a much better job in that part of their
X implementations.

He's also been working on getting X up on egl; a separate problem, which
everyone will benefit from.

I don't forsee it being very difficult to take the results of this work
and make it cross platform, onto systems with decent kernel device
drivers.
				- Jim