Xegl lives!

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Tue May 24 09:52:02 PDT 2005

On 5/24/05, Zack Rusin <zrusin at trolltech.com> wrote:
> Jon, please don't be getting frustrated but I don't think that just
> abondoning Xorg and moving over to Xegl is a viable alternative.
> Trust me, personally, I'd consider working on Xegl much more fun, but I
> don't think we can expect from the users that they will start switching
> anytime in the near future. It will take a while. So lets do it
> incrementally. There's just lots and lots of things to do.

I have no expectations that users can switch now. But we have a very
small pool of developers and splitting them between projects really
slows things down. Xorg is working just fine, can't we just leave it
be and work on getting Xgl ready?

There is no technical reason we couldn't have build Xgl several years
ago, the problem is that an insufficient number of developers will
help work on the project and bring it to completion. If everyone just
came together and worked toward a switchover we could probably have
something ready by the end of the year.

For example, right now I am trying to glue Keith's input subsystem
from kdrive into Xgl. I have never worked on input systems for X
before and I have no clue as to what I am doing. I suspect a better
approach might be to instead build Xgl as a dix into the xorg server.
But since I am trying to get a working server for OLS I need to get an
input system from somewhere. This is a prime example of where someone
with the right experience set helping could make things go a lot
smoother.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com