Xegl lives!

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue May 24 08:41:07 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 11:33 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 5/24/05, Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys at hp.com> wrote:
> > Zack's been doing some good stuff speeding up software compositing,
> > which should see the light of day, so while I understand your
> > impatience, his priorities are reasonable (and we still need software
> > fallback for compositing to run at finite speed...).
>
> Xegl is completely software compositing at the moment. Wouldn't it be
> better to spend the effort improving mesa performance since mesa is
> used everywhere?

Not all X servers are using Mesa; in fact, almost all do not at this
instant; Render is used for getting text up on the screen, and that is
using the software compositing unless the XAA driver implements it
directly.

Certainly, as GL based X servers become the norm, we'll take the code
and apply it there.

As I understand it, Zack's nearly done with that project, and is
offering to come help you as soon as he can...
				- Jim