Xegl lives!

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Mon May 23 10:11:01 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 18:57 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> Le lundi 23 mai 2005 à 01:16 -0400, Jon Smirl a écrit :
>
> > The current state of Xegl is using an unaccelerated fbdev EGL
> > implementation. glitx-egl runs on top of that and implements render.
> > Xegl then runs on top of that and implements the xserver.
>
> As the ignorant newbie I am, I have a question: that's an impressive
> stacking of servers,

There's only one server, one process. glitz is an abstraction layer for
(A|E)GL(X), which is a pretty low level graphics API.

> won't this introduce undesired latencies ?
> I find the current Xorg already laggy enough.

With this little information, I can only speculate that you're talking
about the handling of expose events, which are largely eliminated with
compositing. Running Xglx with compositing on the current X server with
fglrx is the smoothest and snappiest X experience I've ever had, FWIW.
Xegl should be at least as good, depending on the EGL implementation of
course.