man page entries in modular tree Makefile.am

Sun May 22 19:51:05 PDT 2005

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 12:01:59PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>
>>  2005-05-22  Alan Coopersmith  <alan.coopersmith at sun.com>
>>
>>  	* Makefile.am (man1_MANS): Add makedepend man page
>

> A slightly better way of doing this is to rename foo.man to, e.g.,
> foo.1 or foo.3, and then you can just put them all in man_MANS.

Problem is that the section name/number depends on the OS, which is
a problem not yet solved in the modular tree.  Some OS'es even like
section names which automake refuses to cope with, like 3X.  (The docs
say it only thinks [0-9ln] are allowable sections.)

The current Imake settings show just how diverse they can be.   Currently
used values include:
	Commands:	1, 1x, 1X, n
	Libraries:	3, 3x, 3X
	Files:		4, 4X, 5, 5x
	Drivers:	4, 4x, 7, 7x
	Misc:		5, 5x, 7, 7x

and that doesn't include the way we really install on Solaris, where
every library gets it's own subdir, so we have man3X11, man3Xt, and so
on.

Perhaps once we have the preprocessing rules in place, the install list
can be set to the correct output names and .man will only be the input
format.  I've been experimenting with different ways to do this - for
instance:

# Have to fake out automake by calling our man pages "DATA" since
# "MANS" won't accept .3x as a valid man page suffix

LIBMAN_SUFFIX=@LIBMAN_SUFFIX@
libmandir = $(mandir)/man$(LIBMAN_SUFFIX)

libman_SOURCES = \
         AllPlanes.man \
         BlackPixelOfScreen.man \
[...]
libman_DATA=$(libman_SOURCES:man=$(LIBMAN_SUFFIX))

EXTRA_DIST = $(libman_SOURCES)

include $(top_srcdir)/cpprules.in

SUFFIXES += .$(LIBMAN_SUFFIX) .man

.man.$(LIBMAN_SUFFIX):