Xorg needs bug days

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sun May 22 14:33:17 PDT 2005

On Sunday 22 May 2005 16:14, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote:
> > Subject says it all really.  Having semi-formal weekly meetings on IRC
> > has been a great help to other projects and there's no reason it wouldn't
> > help us too.  This would be a good way for us to keep the bug count down
> > and to get new people started with hacking on X.
>
> For those of us who haven't participated in these before, what happens?
> We just all get on IRC and start going through the list of open bugs?

It's not quite as formal as just marching down the list from beginning to end.
It's more like a designated time when people are known to be around.
Developers who have things they're working on can get feedback on whether
their approach looks good; people who have submitted patches can get the
attention of a developer to get them reviewed and committed; people who are
looking for ways to contribute can get pointed at things to start on.
Ideally at the end you can say "we closed N bugs today", but it's not the
primary goal.  I guess "bug days" is a bit of a misnomer then ;)

There's quite a bit of psychological value in knowing that people will be
around.  Latency is discouraging to someone looking for feedback, whether
they're experienced in X or not.

- ajax