Keyboard mapping

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Sun May 22 10:59:18 PDT 2005

On 5/22/05, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 22 May 2005 12:54, Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
> > Jon Smirl írta:
> > > Another issue is multiple keyboards. It's not clear to me if the
> > > kernel supports multiple simultaneous keymaps.
> >
> > The mainstream kernel blends all keyboards together, e.g.
> > no matter which keyboard you type on, the active console
> > gets it.
>
> Only if you're not using evdev.  See bug #968.  In particular if you do
> EVIOCGRAB on a keyboard it comes out of the default keyboard pool.

My plan for Xgl is to evdev.

> evdev is totally keymap-agnostic, that's handled in XKB within the server.
> The ruby stuff may still be necessary for people who want multiple text
> consoles, but I don't have words for how little that interests me.

Yes, but you are not the only person in the world. I have learned the
hard way that there are many people still very highly attached to
their text consoles. I'd like to explore a solution where keymaps are
unified between Xgl and the kernel.

A simple solution may be for Xgl to implement the keymap but to read
the kernel keymap files. That would get around the kernel problem of
only having a single kernel keymap. It would also mean the maps are
defined in a single place.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com