Freezing protocol modules (was: Change list from 6.8 to HEAD, and 7.0 plans)

Sat May 21 14:01:58 PDT 2005

Daniel Stone wrote:
> So, it's the 22nd of May.  People who want to do the libs should do so
> quick smart.  If people want to make any changes to protocol headers,
> you have until 0001 UTC on the 24th of May (that's about 103 hours from
> now) to either make your change, or raise a very convincing objection.
>
> If not, I'm going to post up tarballs of all the protcol modules and
> declare them final and that they shouldn't change for R7 unless someone
> has a really good reason to change it.
>
> Alan, does this sit well with you for 6.9?

The only possible protocol change I know of that anyone's working on for the
6.9/7.0 timeframe is the Xinerama standard vs. existing practice
compatibility issue I'm working on (though I haven't spent as much time on
it lately as I wanted to, so I don't know if it will be done in time).

Otherwise, I don't know of any reason the protocol headers would need to
change between now and 6.9, but I'm more concerned that the modularization
specific bits (automake/autoconf templates, etc.) aren't ready for a freeze.
I've done some testing on Solaris, and assume most other people are testing
on Linux - has anyone made sure they are doing the right thing on all the
other platforms?   (Okay, there's not much to test other than that files get
installed correctly, but I just stumbled across a problem with that in
lib/Xt where the Makefile.am called install directly instead of using the
macros from autoconf to get the right install program on platforms with
multiple versions. (Stupid SysV legacy install.))

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com