Discussion about two new X extension proposals

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Wed May 11 13:53:51 PDT 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 01:41:45PM +0200, Buola Buola wrote:
> >  I) Relative mouse movements reporting
(...)

> I think such extension would be good and also useful for me, but I
> think these events shouldn't be a replacement for normal events, but
> selected in a different way, such as XExtMouseSelectInput and then you
> just don't select the normal MotionNotify event and have the same
> behaviour as you describe

OK, so basically for each mouse event generated by the server, it would also
generate a new 'relative mouse event'. This sounds fine to me too (after we
just need to decide if we duplicate the standard motion event content in
this new event - which would enable exactly what I propose at the price of
using more network bandwith when both are active at the same time - or if
this new event would contain only the new reportings).

BTW, is 'XExtMouseSelectInput' an existing X extension (I did not find
anything about it in my man pages on my (pretty old) X install or on Google)
or part of the new proposed extension ?

Anyway, when I find time (I will try to start next week), I will try to code
a 'proof of concept' patch that will (uncondionally) generate this new
relative mouse movement event on each mouse move. If this works, it will be
time enough to decide how to put this in the X server 'cleanly' (i.e.
creation of the extension, changing all the extension registering stuff,
extension activation / de-activation, ...).

> >  II) Non-exclusive mouse grabbing
(...)
> If this is only needed for a specific project, maybe it would be
> better to use synthetic mouse events and don't add rarely-used
> extensions to the server (I have seen some other thread around here
> looking for such things to be removed), but if more people think it
> might be useful it looks ok.

Well, let's forget about this extension for now (I already have enough on my
plate with the mouse one which is more important). It may well be that after
I integrate the relative mouse movement handling in Wine, it will prove
unnecessary.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

         Lionel

--