Discussion about two new X extension proposals

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed May 11 09:01:20 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 07:41, Buola Buola wrote:
> > Basically, the problem is that Wine has a lot of different connections to
> > the X server (from what I remember, one per Win32 thread). Now, if one
> > wants to restrict the mouse to a window (for games for example), one
> > really needs to do this from the thread that actually does the input
> > (otherwise all mouse events will only go to a thread that may completely
> > ignore them).
>
> If this is only needed for a specific project, maybe it would be
> better to use synthetic mouse events and don't add rarely-used
> extensions to the server (I have seen some other thread around here
> looking for such things to be removed), but if more people think it
> might be useful it looks ok.

I think there's an important distinction to make here.  Composite, for
example, will probably only ever be used by one application per server, and
that's okay, that is in fact the whole point.  Likewise if Wine needs an
extension to make its emulation better, that's fine too.

The important part is that the extension gets _used_.  It's not about app
count per extension, it's about the number of running servers where that
extension is active.

- ajax