Some Obscure Problem

Bora Sahin bora.sahin at ttnet.net.tr
Mon May 9 15:54:33 PDT 2005

Hi,

>> My last suspection is endiannes? I am stuck here. If you the guys can help, I am very grateful...

Jerome> I think we face the same problem visual problem with r300 & 2d acceleration..
Jerome> Having a picture (even digital camera could help a lot to see it exactly :))

I thought it also ;-)

Jerome> Something like this  ?
Jerome> http://dj.planet-d.net/Capture.png

Firstly I dont have a desktop environment. My target system is X-only.

Not identically the same! For example, it seems small dialog box look a lot like the mine, whereas
the bigger dialog box looks lesser like. Because I can read characters and some words in the bigger
dialog box. But I think that's not a measure. Because my fonts are bitmap xterm fonts and
degeneration of that fonts is much expectable than of the scalable fonts.

Jerome> If you see not artifact in 640*480*8 this is most likely because this is a 8bits modes...

Yes, 8 bits prevent the multibyte problems.

My kernel frame buffer driver is in 800*600*8 resolution. I can run X-Window "only" in the 640*480*8
under the control of "fbdev" driver. Otherwise I got an err msg saying that

(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): Mode init failed

I tracked down a bit this but not thoroughly an overlook in fact, and as far as I understood it
stems from ioctling the frame buffer driver to retrieve resolution information.

The second problem related to my driver is that it launches X-server with the same resolution and
depth. I specify 8 bit depth and I think it didnt bother what I wrote. I will investigate this also.

Jerome> Unfortunetly i couldn't be of more help. I hope this could lead you in the
Jerome> right way.

Thanks for your help...

--
Bora SAHIN