A Problem About Cross Compiling

Bora Sahin bora.sahin at ttnet.net.tr
Sat May 7 06:31:43 PDT 2005

Hi,

>> Xorg finds my crosstoolchain correctly. It compiles but when it comes to xkbcomp/cross dir, it fires
>> error message and says libxkbfile is not found. But the problem is in the point of trying to find
>> host system's xkbfile, not the crosscompiled one. libxkbfile is in the correct dir. I think this is
>> "extra" dir.

Alexander> The xkbcomp/cross dir is for compiling a version which is runnable on the
Alexander> compile host, not the target host. The target host version is in
Alexander> programs/xkbcomp. So it's absolutly necessary to link with the host libxkbfile.
Alexander> If this is not available it will break.

Yes, this is what I want to learn. In fact, I told it in my first mail:

it is trying to use the host toolchain and libs, not the crosscompiled ones. (My host
system doesnt contain libxkbfile). After seeing that err msg I looked at Imakefile of it.

XCOMM Assumes local libraries installed in /usr/X11R6/lib
LOCAL_LIBRARIES = -L/usr/X11R6/lib $(XKBFILELIB) $(XONLYLIB)

ROOT_DEFINES = -DDFLT_XKB_CONFIG_ROOT=\"$(LIBDIR)/xkb\"

INCLUDES = -I.. -I$(EXTINCSRC)

This clearly states that it will use "-L/usr/X11R6/lib $(XKBFILELIB) $(XONLYLIB)". I am wondering is
this part of compiling to be done on the host system?

But I think I didnt express it clearly, sory!

>> and pass that phase but I am wondering if this is a build bug or not?

Alexander> No. You need all X11 libraries on the host system for creating some tools
Alexander> which are needed for running the compile process. These are for example
Alexander> xkbcomp, fc-cache and some others. If you specify UseInstalledOnCrossCompile
Alexander> it should not try to compile these programs but use the installed instead.

>> I think there is a misunderstanding here. Let me do try to express it more clearly. My host.def file
>> is below...
>>
>> #define NothingOutsideProjectRoot YES
>> #define UseInstalledOnCrossCompile YES

Alexander> Strange

As far as I understood, "UseInstalledOnCrossCompile" option should provide using some host tools,
but instead my build process tries to compile it, this is only xkbcomp. My host system is Debian.
May the problem stem from the build process not finding the xkbcomp in the host system, perhaps it
is not in the expected place?

Thanks...

--
Bora SAHIN