Xvfb on AIX: problem establishing connection

Josh Triplett josh.trip at verizon.net
Thu May 5 10:21:06 PDT 2005

Irek Szczesniak wrote:
> Now that I compiled Xvfb and I am able to run it, I have another
> problem.  I cannot connect to Xvfb.
>
> I run Xvfb:
>
>> /scratch/scratchdirs/ijs/xc/programs/Xserver >./Xvfb :100 -fp
> /scratch/scratchdirs/ijs/xc/fonts/bdf/misc/ -ac
>> _XSERVTransmkdir: ERROR: euid != 0,directory /tmp/.X11-unix will not
> be created.
>> _XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: mkdir(/tmp/.X11-unix) failed,
> errno = 2
>> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for
> local

This is the problem right here.

[...]
> As you see the connection cannot be established.  I have no knowledge
> on translating DISPLAY into some communication channel between Xlib and
> an X server.
>
> I would appreciate if someone could advise me what I should do or point
> me to the documentation which describes the way Xlib connects to an X
> server.

Local connections to X servers occur through UNIX sockets, in the
directory /tmp/.X11-unix; for example, a DISPLAY of :100 corresponds to
/tmp/.X11-unix/X100.  The X server will not create that directory unless
run as root, because the directory must be owned by root to prevent
security problems.  On Debian systems, the X packages solve this problem
by setting up /tmp/.X11-unix (and /tmp/.ICE-unix, used for the X
Inter-Client Exchange protocol) in an init.d script.  You could also
just run the server once as root to set up the directories.  This is
generally only a problem with X servers that don't touch display
hardware, as servers that do generally must run as root anyway.

- Josh Triplett