XOrg freeze that affects a lot of people

Charles Goodwin charlie at vexi.org
Tue Mar 22 05:39:24 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 00:16 -0500, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > And at no point in the thread has it been claimed that Alt-SysRq does
> > not work.
>
> Read Anton Markov's post again.

...and...

> While [ssh] may work in some cases, in my experience it more often does
> not. YMMV.

I'm talking purely about recoverable cases.  The problem I originally
described, the one encountered time and time again by thousands of
people, is always recoverable.  Let's get this straight, miracles are
not on the agenda. ;)

> And then do what? Even in the cases where recovery may be possible, the
> only entity that would know how to recover is... the driver. And if it
> knows how to do it, there's nothing that prevents it from detecting a
> lockup and recovering from it right now.

No drivers recover that I know of.  And XOrg, as a process, is still
running, so surely (as stated by a few people in this thread already) it
is capable of recovery.  Whether this is something important enough for
somebody to even look into it, let alone take it on and work on it, is
a different matter.

Anyway, that's enough from me.  I made the noise, time to retreat back
into the shadows of lurking obscurity.

- Charlie