getting mouse cursor themes in X to change for existing windows

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vR at movingparts.net
Mon Mar 21 06:18:46 PST 2005

On Monday 21 March 2005 05:40, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> Le dimanche 20 mars 2005 à 22:05 -0500, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper a écrit :
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I would have thought this to be a FAQ, but I haven't seen it anywhere
> > (and I've looked), so I'll ask it here.
> >
> > Is it technically possible to change the mouse cursor theme for an
> > existing window (without having to restart X or for the change to only
> > take effect for new windows)?
>
> This is a job for the toolkits (e.g. GTK+). When the user changes theme,
> the toolkit should update each client's colors, cursors, etc.

Mmmm.  I'm not sure I understand.  It appears that this is toolkit-agnostic,
since I might not be running any higher-than-Xlib toolkit (i.e. I'm running
blackbox and have 3 xterms open, for instance).  What exactly needs to happen
to get an application to change the cursor theme used within it?  Is this a
window manager function?  What would make this change possible, exactly?  I
mean, if $XCURSOR_THEME or Xcursor.theme were to be changed on the fly in a
running application, would unmapping/mapping a client window make the change
take effect?  Or are these things only looked at by X when the window is
first _created_?

--

 `
 ,