XOrg freeze that affects a lot of people

Randall Nortman xorglist at wonderclown.org
Sun Mar 20 13:48:29 PST 2005

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 03:13:12PM -0500, Michel D?nzer wrote:
[...]
> > Yes, the ATI drivers have been suffering from this problem to a varing
> > degree since at least Xorg 6.8 (that's when I started using Xorg).
>
> It's very unlikely the same issue in both drivers though. And as has
> been pointed out several times already in this thread, issues that are
> specific to drivers that don't ship with X.org are off topic here.

FYI: I have the same symptom (not necessarily the same problem) with
the open-source radeon driver shipped by X.org.  (I have not tried
reducing the AGP bus speed, but I will.)  I think the issue here isn't
about specific bugs in specific drivers, but rather about modifying
the base code such that driver and hardware bugs are easier to
diagnose.  Of course, that's easier said than done, and I don't know
enough about the code to comment on whether or not it is feasible.  It
seems to me that if Alt+SysRq isn't working, then there's pretty much
nothing that x.org can do, short of moving more functionality out of
kernel mode and into userland, which I'm sure has its own penalties.

Randall