XOrg freeze that affects a lot of people

Anton Markov anton at truxtar.com
Sun Mar 20 11:53:30 PST 2005

Jeremy Kolb wrote:
> The problem stems from something weird with AGP.  I had to set my AGP to
> 2x in my bios.  Since then, no crashes.  It's been happening for at
> least the past 3 or 4 nvidia driver versions.
>
> Jeremy

I would agree that this is related to AGP or some other part of the
memory handling code. It appears to happen with programs that do lots of
drawing to the sreen. For example, scrolling in a browser, opening
KDevelop, Quanta, or another KDE application that appears to repaint the
toolbars a hundred times, etc. I also find that the crash is far more
likely to happen with xcompmgr running, which further suggests it has to
do with the image copying code.

I've tried setting the AGP speed to 1x in the xorg.conf file, and it
makes the problem less likely to happen; I'll try changing it in the
BIOS too.

It is interesting that there are no error messages printed in the Xorg
or system log, even if I manage to shut down the computer cleanly.

> Charles Goodwin wrote:
>
>> There is an XOrg freezing problem that is afflicting a _lot_ of people.
>>
>> The typical symptom is that when using Firefox the screen will freeze
>> although the mouse cursor will still move.  However, it's not limited to
>> Firefox, having experienced it with gvim myself and seen multiple (but
>> less numerous) reports of the issue when using Opera and Konqueror.  (A
>> little strange that it's mainly browser usage that induces the freeze.)
>>
>> You can still ssh in and kill X to recover the computer sans rebooting.

Once again, it is weird that the keyboard can not be used to kill the
Xorg server; often not even Alt-SysRq works. Would a driver problem lock
the Xorg server so badly that it doesn't let the kernel see the
keyboard? Or is it the CPU usage that prevents keyboard events from
being read?

>> It has been reported with XFree86 too.
>>
>> The problem is in fact driver related.  It afflicted me when I upgraded
>> to the most recent (7167) proprietary nvidia drivers, and downgrading
>> fixed things for my desktop.  Many of the sufferers use Ati cards and
>> there appears to be no standard version of the Ati drivers that works,
>> much more problematic than the nvidia drivers where version prior to
>> 7167 seem to have generally been stable for the majority of users.

Yes, the ATI drivers have been suffering from this problem to a varing
degree since at least Xorg 6.8 (that's when I started using Xorg).

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***