Xglx (partial) success story

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Wed Mar 16 18:00:26 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 03:20 +0100, Francesco Biscani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> finally I was able to try Xglx and... wow! That is really amazing :)
> I installed it on two machines. The first is a workstation which sports an ATI
> 9700 Pro with ATI binary drivers, the second is a laptop with a Radeon IGP
> 340M board. Both machines have Xorg 6.8.2 installed and both have correctly
> configured 3d hw acceleration (binary ATI and DRI respectively).
>
> Some observation:
> - Gnome runs ok, while KDE, QT apps, Mozilla and OpenOffice either exhibit
> artifacts or are pretty slow,
> - resizing windows is quite slow in all situations,
> - on the 9700 PRO performance is always excellent, i.e. also with shadows and
> transparencies moving windows around is always very smooth; the Radeon IGP on
> the laptop is quite slower, even if it beats all around plain xorg +
> composite and is able to show transparencies without taking performance hits.

I'm doing most development on mesa software or nvidia's binary drivers
so it's likely that ATI hardware is not currently working as well as
nvidia hardware.

I think that most performance problems are related to the offscreen
memory management I have in Xgl. We should be able to get the memory
management working A LOT better but I'm not putting too much effort into
it, right now, as once we have drivers that support
GL_EXT_framebuffer_object it's not going to be used anyway.

You shouldn't get artifacts, any artifact you get is a bug in Xgl. I've
committed some code earlier today that should fix some issues. You might
want to give it another try.

> I'm really impressed by what I've seen so far, congratulations for the good
> work! :)

Thanks!

-David