Usage of Xv extension

Simon Perreault Simon.Perreault at matrox.com
Wed Mar 16 08:32:57 PST 2005

On March 16, 2005 11:15, Alex Deucher wrote:
> this is the place.  please ask your question.

Thank you. Here it goes.

What I'm trying to do is draw annotations on top of an Xv image (using
XvPutImage()). This is in a Qt context, so I use a QPainter to draw text (in
a color different from XV_COLORKEY) after the XvPutImage() call. Everything
works perfectly, except for one thing. When a window obstructs the Xv area,
the annotations vanish. When that window is removed, an expose event is
generated and the annotations are redrawn. I want to stop the annotations
from vanishing when a window obstructs the Xv area.

For example, when the window of a popup menu (from a menu bar above the Xv
area) appears and covers partially the Xv area, the annotations vanish. No
expose event is generated in that case, so it can't be that my expose event
handler is wrong.

As a side question: is it considered bad practice to draw annotations on top
of an Xv area? I hope I'm not doing something unholy.

Thank you for any advice you might have.