X.Org Foundation Establishes New List Facility: lists.x.org

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Wed Mar 16 01:18:38 PST 2005

John McCutchan writes:
 > On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 11:37 -0500, Leon Shiman wrote:
 > > [snip]
 >
 > Are all these new lists really worth it? Splitting up the discussion
 > across lists isn't the right decision. For one, the xorg list doesn't
 > have that much traffic already. More importantly this will isolate
 > conversations that shouldn't be isolated from each other. The xorg list
 > has been doing a great job of providing a single point of communication,
 > why change it?

I don't think this is the intention. I would expect that technical
discussions will eventually migrate over to the 'arch' list - so that
the arch list becomes something like a 'devel' list on other projects
- while xorg remains a discussion list for general issues, support
questions and may be some low level day to day developers discussions.

At the end of the day it's the community who will decide how things
will be organized.

I don't think it is planned to fork discussions away from one of the
general lists as long as the volume of traffic on a particular issue
doesn't warrent this. Certainly working groups would want to give
their cause a large audience before they decide to split off.
Avter all there is no use for having a one man show where someone
is basically babbling to himself on a separate list.

Either model - one big list and several small ones - have their
merits.

Egbert.