X.org on Mac OS X and caps-lock/control

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Mar 15 12:06:38 PST 2005

I'm annoyed with Apple's X11 implementation (it tends to part-freeze the
mouse buttons every once in a while and to crash occasionally, and it
doesn't distinguish (even at the keycode level) between various control keys
or various alt keys).

So I tried fink's `xorg' package.  Now, I'm struggling with the
following problem:

   The key to the left of `a' (let's call it "CapsLock") should be "control"
   rather than "caps-lock"

until now I used uControl to solve this problem, but it seems that together
with X.org, that doesn't work:

- if uControl is in use, then X.org doesn't even see the CapsLock key: when
  I press it, nothing happens, X clients don't get an event, nothing.

- if uControl is not in use, CapsLock does send an event, but only when it's
  pressed, not when it's released.  If I use xmodmap to bind this key to the
  `control' modifier, I get a sticky-control (aka control-lock) behavior.

I thread on the freedesktop.xorg mailing-list seemed to indicate that
changing the preferences of XDarwin such that the keymapping file is empty,
so I tried that, but it didn't make any difference.

Any idea what might be going on?

        Stefan