radeon, apertures & memory mapping

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Mar 13 15:11:19 PST 2005

> I'm not being clear....
>
> Leave AGP memory as normal RAM
> driver does it thing to the memory
> driver executes flush of data cache on CPU
> after flush tell GPU to access the data
>
> The performance hit of executing the flush is probably negligible
> since you probably didn't care about anything in the data cache. All
> of those entries would be replaced by later code anyway. You will lose
> some later overlap parallelism as the cache is refilled.

Should be measured though, but yes. I agree. We must make sure we have a
proper hook in the userland DRI to flush AGP pages before they get
submited (indirect buffers, texture datas, host data blits, ...) and the
kernel DRM should flush ring entries (easy probably to do it from the
various ring access macros).

> > Though the flushes may be fast if there is no actual hit in the cache, I
> > agree. Again, that should be benched.
> >
> > In fact, i would _love_ to be able to mark AGP memory as cacheable on
> > ppc, even if there is no performance benefit in the end. The issue is
> > that currently, we end up having both a cacheable and a non-cacheable
> > mapping for those pages (the kernel linear mapping still maps those
> > pages cacheable, and it's almost impossible to get rid of that unless
> > you are prepared to disable the large pages mapping of kernel space or
> > the BATs on ppc32, which would harm kernel performances significantly).
> >
> > It works, but it's illegal. That means that the CPU might well speculate
> > a load from one of these pages in kernel-land just because it happens to
> > be next to a page where you are iterating an array, and may then bring a
> > bit in the cache from that page.
>
> That shouldn't matter the page brought in would be for a speculative
> read and never accessed. It should just fall out of the cache and not
> be written back. There is only one cachable mapping. In this model
> writes are always followed by a flush before telling the GPU to access
> the memory that has just been written.

I was talking about the current state of having both cacheable and
non-cacheable mappng. I was saying that this model has the above
possible issue, and that indeed, mapping everything cacheable would fix
it.

--
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org>