how to tell a window is completely redrawn?

Jonathan Lennox lennox at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Mar 9 05:41:50 PST 2005

On Tuesday, March 8 2005, "Irek Szczesniak" wrote to "xorg at lists.freedesktop.org" saying:

> > > I need to wait for a window to be completely redrawn, and then take a
> > > picture of it with XGetImage.  This window is not mine, and the only
> > > thing I know about it is its ID.
> > >
> > > How can I tell that the X server has compeletly redrawn the window?

If you're using a current Xorg server, you could use the Xdamage extension.
There could be some issues with over-estimation of damage, though.

You could also use Xrecord to actually peek at the requests the window's
client is sending.

In general, "completely redrawn" is an application-specific concept, so I'd
imagine you'd need to know some details of how your target application draws
things.

--
Jonathan Lennox
lennox at cs dot columbia dot edu