VIA and VGA BIOS image is wrong!! CheckSum = 5e403c

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Mon Mar 7 05:25:58 PST 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 01:47:08AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Please see this posting to freebsd-mobile
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=20992+0+current/freebsd-mobile
>
> I have similar issue with US$399 laptop called a GQ (Great Quality)
> MX-3201.
>
> scanpci tells me I have:
>
> pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x01 function 0x00: vendor 0x1106 device 0xb091
>  VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8623 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
>
> pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x1106 device 0x3122
>  VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8623 [Apollo CLE226] integrated CastleRock graphics
>
> I am running FreeBSD 5.3 with its 5.3 release version of Xorg server.
>
> Xorg says release date 18 December 2003 (that is wrong). The package is
> xorg-server-6.7.0_9.
>
> Xorg -configure defined:
>
>  Driver "via"
>  VendorName "Unknown Vendor"
>  BoardName "Unknown Board"
>  BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
>
> I also can't get VESA or VGA to work. (Only 320x200 is displayed, but is
> entirely garbage and unreadable.)
>
> With VIA as configured with Xorg -configure, X never appears and startx
> appears to hang. When I switch virtual consoles, I receive:
>
> VGA BIOS image is wrong!! CheckSum = 5e403c
> X in free (); error: page is already free
> Abort (core dumped)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I can provide logs and debugging output.
>
> Thanks,
>
>  Jeremy C. Reed

This was fixed about a year ago; the ECS G320 (subsystem ids: 0x1019,
0xB320) users were experiencing the same problem. The via driver in Xorg
cvs doesn't segfault any more, and unichrome.sf.net cvs doesn't use VBE
at all any more when hardware is supported. (Thomas Hellstrom has added
vbe modesetting to work around our inability to properly support the
unichrome pro panels at current).

You should be able to compile the last unichrome release np against
6.7.0.

Luc Verhaegen.