ATI Radeon 7500 Mobile (On Dell 5100) with External Monitor

bob franken zonyl at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 12:28:44 PST 2005

>From: Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com>

> > >doesnt
>laptop
> > >LCD
> > >plug
> > >X.org is
> > >Primary
>is
> > >not

>without
> > >any
> > >(MonitorLayout,

> > >it's not detecting your setup correctly.  to force the correct
> > >configuration, uncomment this line:
> > >Option     "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, CRT"
> > >what are yout trying to accomplish?  dualhead?  clone?
> > >
> > >Alex
> >
> > Enabling the MonitorLayout allows the LCD to show up when the ext
>monitor is
> > displayed, however, I still get no video on the ext monitor.   At a high
> > level, I am just trying to use my ext monitor (NEC: G90FB) with my
>laptop
> > (in clone mode) when docked.
> >
> > new config (with MonitorLayout and MergedFB enabled):
> > http://www.sharpee.com/xorg.conf.merged
> >
> > new out:
> > http://www.sharpee.com/mergedfb.out
> >
> > Thanks
> > -J
> >

>The external monitor is trying to use 2048x1536, I supect you need to
>specify some modes in the screen section of your config:
>
>	SubSection "Display"
>		Viewport   0 0
>		Depth     16
>                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>	EndSubSection

Added those modes and still dont see anything on my ext monitor.   FWIW:
Every other time I initially start the X server the external monitor jumps
out of power save mode for a couple of secs then returns to power save mode.

config with modes:
http://www.sharpee.com/xorg.conf.modes
output with modes:
http://www.sharpee.com/modes.txt