Two matters: Work & Plasure

Cezary Krzyżanowski dhubleizh at o2.pl
Wed Mar 2 09:26:24 PST 2005

Hi

I'm new here, thou I have two matters to discuss with You all.

I. PLEASURE

Let's start with the plesant thing :D I'm really impressed by Your work
- the xgl server - the translucent windows, especialy two console
windows on each other, really look cool - Matrix, Whitch Hunter Robin,
Lain futuristyc style. I think, that it would be a shame not to use the
power of todays computers and stay with the old-fashioned look of linux,
dedicated to the old geezers, who think, that the best system is the
one, with least possible gadgets. I think, an operation system should be
an eye-cathching thing, beeing fully adjustable to users needs, also to
their visual preferences.

Well, and here comes my question. I've compiled the standolone version
(--enable-xglxserver), which runs faster on my laptop, than the
--xglserver, running on top of another X server. Everything works just
fine - including two mice: my touchpad and my USB mouse. One thing I
cannot make - I'm from Poland, so I'd like to use polish keyboard
lyaout. With the default one, I cannot type characters typical for my
lanugage. I've compiled the xserver with --enable-xkb, but I've got no
idea, how to supply polish layout - I've tried to google some info, but
the parameter --xkbmap is referad as 'oboslete' and no info is suplied
anywhere, I've looked. How could I make my X server recognize polish
characters?? Enabling +kb makes my right alt behave as enter.

II. WORK

I'm studying Computer Science at the Poznan Technical University in
Poland and I've got Operational Systems this year. We're using linux and
trying to learn it - borring. I'm a PLD (Polish Linux Distribution)
developer from some time now and I don't have to atend to this class on
the condition, to participate in some linux project. I'm really into
writing something for Open Source comunity, so I could help a little bit
in developement of Xgl. I'm open to any suggestions - till the end of
June I've got to show my work to my professor, so I've got half a year
to work with You guys. I'd like help a little bit with the coding - but
I don't like making drivers, I'd prefer to implement some features in
Xgl. I'd be happy to be able to talk with someone and learn bout Xgl,
it's architecture, concepts etc. I'd preffer to talk 'directly' via some
p2p chatting soft, than mailing - it's faster, so I'm waiting for any
ideas. I'm quite good in C++ (or at least I think so) and I'm open to
new technologies, ideas, languages, solutions, so everytihing
interesting will do.

Yours
Cezary Krzyżanowski - Cz at rny
Poland