ATI Radeon 7500 Mobile (On Dell 5100) with External Monitor

bob franken zonyl at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 08:12:37 PST 2005

Hi All,

   I have an ATI Radeon 7500 Mobile video card in my Dell 5100 that doesnt
appear to play nice when I hookup up an external monitor.   My laptop LCD
alone works with the config generated by X -configure, however, when I plug
in an external monitor, neither display then works.  I noticed that X.org is
showing drastically different information about the DAC detected for Primary
and Secondary devices when the ext monitor is connected and when it is not
(possibly DDC is getting messed up?)

   I tried all sorts of different options in the ATI man page, without any
success in getting both displays working at the same time (MonitorLayout,
MergedFB, CRT2xxxx, etc).

My config:
http://www.sharpee.com/xorg.conf.new
Without ext monitor (LCD works fine)
http://www.sharpee.com/noext.txt
With ext monitor (Neither display works)
http://www.sharpee.com/yesext.txt

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-J